Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Dorothy, June 19, 2007

Listen in MP3

Yesterday, for the first day of class, Louise insisted on driving me. I told her that I had been driving every day, everywhere I wanted to go except those few places where she was also going, places that didn't seem to me much different at all from all my other destinations, to which she replied that I had obviously been driving much too much, and if I didn't want to have that cast put back on my arm I needed to take a break now and then, and as far as she was concerned the issue was closed, but of course she kept talking, it would be silly for both of us to drive and park our cars right next to each other in that tiny parking lot where it was so easy to hit the dumpster with your taillight when you're pulling back out, and it made more sense for me to be in her car as her navigator, as it was only my wrist which I had broken and not my neck, leaving me fully capable of turning around and looking out the back window when needed. I listened to her and eventually I agreed, because in fact my wrist had been hurting me, it had kept me up most of Sunday night, and I even had begun to wonder if I had been driving too much.

We drove into the park and Louise pointed to the new benches and picnic tables and we talked about how much nicer the park had become in the past few years, how upset we had been four years ago when Professor Jorgensen had moved the Elder Summer Science Series from a classroom at the university to this park where none of us had set foot in years, some of us remembered taking our kids there for the swimming pool, which was the nicest one in the city in the early 1960s-but all that ended a few years later with the riots, not the swimming pool, but our coming there with our kids. We both agreed that even though we had been upset at first, it had all worked out for the best. Louise said that Professor Jorgensen had been very brave to build a nature center in park with so many troubles, and I told her that I didn't think Professor Jorgensen was the one who actually built the nature center, it was that Deveridge girl, Lisa, the attorney's daughter, but Louise said that even if the girl had been the one to do all the work and appear on television all the time, it was obvious that Professor Jorgensen had been in charge, and I decided not to correct her, because sometimes it's better to seem as if you only know what you've read in the papers.

There were only two other cars in the parking lot and Louise recognized one of them, I don't know how she does it, all cars look the same to me. It's those Lutheran ladies, she said, and I told her to shush, she knows very well I don't like it when she labels everybody by what church they go to. They're such flirts, she said, and I knew what she meant, because the Lutheran ladies had only started coming to the Elder Summer Science Series two years ago, after Sonya, Professor Jorgensen's wife, had died, but all I said to Louise was that I hoped she could be ecumenical.

Inside the center the Lutheran ladies were looking at the posters of Prokaryotes and Eukaryotes designed by the high school class, and at the other end of the room, typing on a laptop computer, was a young girl, maybe thirty years old. It must be his new assistant, whispered Louise, those Lutheran ladies don't have a chance, and I didn't say anything but I noticed the wedding band on the girl's finger as she typed.

Then Louise walked right over and introduced herself to the girl. And the girl looked up and smiled and said her name was Melissa, she was an assistant professor in the Biology Department, and gathered us all together, and said that and even though she had never really worked with Professor Jorgensen as he had retired from regular teaching moved away, except for the summers, before she was hired, she was honored to take over a program which he had started, and she was so delighted that we had all decided to continue with the program, it was really a wonderful tribute to a great man's memory.

At which point she looked at our faces and realized that we had all come to the class expecting to find Professor Jorgensen.

None of us had heard the news. Not even me.